Rain is delaying play in Monte Carlo at the time of writing here. I did have a couple of thoughts on some matches, however the wet, gloomy conditions are a little offputting.
Anyway, here are some thoughts on some of the matches in Monte Carlo and Charleston for the rest of the day:
ATP Monte Carlo
1) There still appears to be a bit of value in the price of Cristian Garin against Felix Auger Aliassime. I am involved via the outright preview on Betfair.
2) Both 2019 finalists in Fognini and Lajovic both look a touch short today. I will be curious to see if they can back up their past performance here, as their lead-in form hasn’t been overly appealing.
3) I was *this* close to backing Cecchinato to defeat Koepfer, however just couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger.
4) Qualifying form could come in handy for Pedro Martinez against Tommy Paul, however I was hoping for $2+ for the Spaniard to be honest.
5) I am happy to entirely avoid:
– Pouille vs Pella – lack of form on both sides.
– Bublik vs Chardy – odds look right, however Bublik motivation levels likely to decide this one.
– Hurkacz vs Fabbiano – the Italian found a way through qualifying, however I want to see how Hurkacz goes backing up the win of his career with a surface change. Looks….short.
– Struff vs Dimitrov – Both can play very decent clay tennis, however both have been disappointing in patches this year. Who can take advantage of this draw?
– Caruso vs Catarina – Odds and handicap look about right for mine!
Only six matches on the card for today. In the podcast today I mentioned I don’t mind Shelby Rogers overall for the tournament, however she does have a tricky first round match against Caty McNally. I would have McNally closer to $3.50, however she has lacked consistency at the top level. Big test for Rogers first up.
The only other one that appeals for today is Tomljanovic to win and cover the handicap against Renata Zarazua. The consistency is slowly developing for the Australian, and she will be keen to make the most of this draw.
If you have any further questions about any specific matches, send me a Direct Message on Twitter, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.