At the end of the preview yesterday a couple of players were highlighted. Let’s take a look at how they went:
- Noah Rubin – lost in straight sets as a heavy favourite.
- Marc Polmans (doubles) – lost in straight sets as slight underdog
- Su-Wei Hsieh (doubles) – doubles scheduled for tomorrow night – heavy favourite
- Philipp Kohlschreiber – won in straight sets. Plays Steve Johnson tomorrow.
- Jaume Munar – won in straight sets. Plays Denis Kudla tomorrow
- Cedrik-Marcel Stebe – won in straight sets. Plays winner of Lamasine/Gulbis
- Taylor Townsend (doubles) – starting shortly in Auckland
As we move to Friday, the window for backing up to next week shortens. Ones to watch tomorrow are:
It looks like Mladenovic and Tomljanovic don’t have their semi final scheduled tomorrow. If they withdraw from that semi-final, it will help re-inforce there is a bit of value in this information moving forward. I cannot see them both missing singles qualifying to hang around and play a doubles semi-final.